This whole wheat recipe calls for more than just whole wheat flour, but the end result is so delicious. With added cracked wheat, malt, and wheat germ, the bread is perfectly heavy for wintertime consumption. Serve warm with butter or make into yummy peanut butter sandwiches.
Yield: 2 loaves.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 5 minutes
- 1 cup water, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp or 2 packets (1/2 oz) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp malt
- 3/4 cup cracked wheat
- 2/3 cup wheat germ
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour, about
- In a large bowl, mix water and yeast. Add milk, butter, honey, and salt. Stir. Mix in malt, cracked wheat, and whole wheat flour. Slowly add in remaining bread flour, enough flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 4 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is soft and smooth to the touch. Place dough in large greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 4 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. For loaves, divide dough into two equal halves. Shape each half into a loaf. Place each loaf into a greased and cornmealed 9 x 5-inch bread pan. To make braided bread, divide the two into two equal parts. Set on part aside and divide the other part into three equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12 inch rope and braid. Repeat with second half of dough. Place braided loaves onto greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake loaves at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes or until the bread is brown and sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove each loaf from pan and let cool on rack.
Bread Baking Tips: