Kneading bread dough can be one of the most enjoyable steps of bread baking. Follow these basic instructions to learn how to use your hands when kneading dough.
Time Required: According to recipe instructions.
- Pay attention to table/counter height to avoid straining your back. Use a counter or tabletop that allows you to extend your arms to knead the dough while not making you hunch over the table.
- When you knead, you will use only the heels of your hands. Push down on dough with your hand heels.
- Fold the dough in half.
- Turn the dough about 45 degrees and knead with your hand heels again.
- Continue to knead, fold and turn the dough for the required length of time or to the consistency suggested.
- Lightly dust your hands with flour to keep the dough from sticking to you.
- Kneading can be messy. Wear old clothes or an apron to prevent flour from getting on your good clothing.
- Always keep a measuring cup of flour beside your work area to prevent the dough form sticking to your counter or kneading board.