Beer, cheese, and freshly chopped parsley give this bread an awesome flavor. The perfect dinner bread, leftover slices can be made into garlic toast the next day.
Yield: 2 medium loaves
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 3/4 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 12 fl. oz. can of beer, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp soft butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cups bread flour, about
- In large bowl, mix warm water and yeast. Add beer, sugar, salt, butter, cheese, and parsley. Stir. Add in enough bread flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more bread flour as needed until the dough is firm and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Cut dough in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in greased 8x5-inch bread pans. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes or until the breads sound hollow when tops are tapped. Remove breads from pans and let cool on rack.