While I have always loved baking pumpkin breads, I have only begun baking breads with squash these past two years. Here is an easy white bread roll recipe that you can add your favorite mashed squash into.
Yield: 24 rolls.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 packet (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cooked and mashed squash (acorn, butternut, winter, etc.)
- 5 cups bread flour, about
- In a large bowl, mix water and yeast. Add milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Stir. Mix in squash and 3 cups bread flour. Slowly add in remaining bread flour, enough flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 4 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is soft and smooth to the touch. Place dough in large greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 4 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a roll. Place rolls onto 2 greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake rolls at 400 degrees F for 55 minutes or until the rolls are brown and sound hollow when the tops are tapped. Remove rolls from sheets and let cool on rack.
Bread Baking Tips: