After baking all my zucchini quick breads, I always find a small quantity of zucchini left over. This recipe uses up the small amount of leftover zucchini to make 4 delicious breakfast rolls.
Yield: 4 medium rolls
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp soft butter or shortening
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tsp grated zest from 1 small orange
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour, about
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- In medium bowl, mix warm water and yeast. Add brown sugar, salt, butter, shredded zucchini, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir. Add 1 cup of flour and mix well. Stir in raisins. Add in enough remaining flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is firm and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each part into a roll. Place rolls on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until roll tops are golden brown and they sound hollow when tops are tapped. Remove rolls from sheet and let cool on rack. Serve warm.