The herb flavor in cheddar basil batter bread is fantastic. This easy yeast, no-knead bread is a great addition to chicken and pasta dinners. The bread dough is a wet dough that is mixed, allowed to rise, mixed down, and scraped into a loaf pan. Recipe for this batter bread makes one loaf.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- In medium bowl, add yeast and water. Stir until yeast is dissolved.
- Add cheese, basil, oil, sugar, salt, and 2 cups of flour. Mix well.
- Mix in remaining flour.
- Cover bowl with clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir down batter.
- Scrape batter into a greased bread pan, 9x5x3 inches. Cover and let rise in warm place for another 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on.
- Remove loaf from pan and let cool.