This incredibly delicious bread is perfect for serving with any Italian meal or steak dinner. It can be served fresh from the oven and leftover slices can later be buttered and toasted to make an easy toasted garlic bread. Makes 2 loaves.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 packet Recipe Secrets Savory Herb with Garlic
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- In large bowl, mix together warm water, yeast, sugar, and salt. Stir until granules are dissolved.
- Add flavor packet, milk, and cheese. Stir.
- Mix in flour a half cup at a time until dough chases spoon around in the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Knead for approximately 10 minutes, adding more flour by the tablespoonful as necessary until the dough is soft but not sticky to the touch.
- Grease bowl with butter, shortening, or vegetable oil. Put dough in bowl and turn dough over so that the top side of dough is also lightly greased. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until dough is double in size.
- When dough has doubled, punch down. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead for about 5 minutes.
- Cut dough into two equal parts. Shape each half into loaf.
- Grease two loaf pans. Sprinkle loaf pans with coarse cornmeal, if desired. Put loaves into pans, cover, and let rise for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Slash each loaf down the center with a sharp knife. Melt the tablespoon of butter and pour over the tops of both loaves.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until bread has a hollow sound when tapped with fingertips.
- Remove from oven and let cool on rack or clean kitchen towel.