The powerful taste of onion and poppy seeds makes this a perfect picnic bread and specialty bread for family gatherings. The loaf can be shaped as a regular bread loaf or it can be shaped longer to resemble a French bread.
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 egg white
- poppy seeds
- In medium bowl, mix together onion, vegetable oil, water, sugar, salt, yeast, and poppy seeds. Mix in flour a 1/2 cup at a time. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for 5 minutes. Grease a medium bowl. Place dough in bowl and turn dough over so that the dough top is also greased. Cover with clean cloth and let dough rise in warm place for 45 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead for about 3 minutes. Shape dough in small loaf. Grease small loaf pan or baking sheet. Put loaf in pan or sheet, cover with clean cloth and allow to rise for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Brush egg white onto loaf top and sprinkle top with poppy seeds. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove loaf from pan and let cool on rack.