This tomato bread recipe was created to accompany my chuck roast dinners. The moist insides and tasty tomato flavor also makes this bread a perfect accompaniment to any pasta dinner, such as spaghetti or lasagna. Makes one medium loaf.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- egg white
- poppy seeds
- In medium bowl, mix together salt, sugar, shortening, yeast, water, and tomato paste. Mix in 2 cups of flour.
- Turn dough out on floured board. Knead in remaining 1/4 cup flour.
- Put dough in greased bowl, turn over so that top is greased. Cover and let set in warm place for about 1 hour or until double in size.
- Punch down. Turn out onto board and knead for about 3 minutes.
- Form dough into loaf. Place in greased 8.5 by 4.5 inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Brush on egg white and sprinkle poppy seeds on top. Score the loaf by making three quick slashes across the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when you tap on it with your fingers.
- Remove from heat and turn loaf out. Let cool on a rack or on a clean cloth.
- Bread can be wrapped and frozen for up to three months.