Looking for the perfect bread to serve with your chicken dinner tonight? Spaghetti? V8 Vegetable juice bread is a delightful and unique bread that tastes delicious fresh from the oven or toasted. It’s even easy to make and can be enjoyed by beginners as well as the more experienced bread bakers.
Yield: 1 loaf.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 cup scalded V8 Vegetable juice
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2-1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1/4 oz pkg.)
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour, about
- Pour scalded V8 Vegetable juice into large bowl and stir in shortening, sugar, and salt. After the shortening has melted, stir in the warm water to bring down the temperature of the tomato mixture. Set bowl aside and let cool to lukewarm.
- After the tomato mixture has cooled, stir in yeast. Mix in enough flour to make a thick dough that can be kneaded by hand. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for 5 minutes, adding more bread flour, a tablespoon at a time, as needed.
- When the dough is smooth and elastic, put dough in greased bowl and turn dough over in the bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour in a warm, draft-free spot.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead out bubbles for 5 minutes. Shape dough into loaf. Place in greased 5.25 x 9 x 2.75 inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until the dough has doubled in bulk.
- Bake loaf at 400 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F and bake for another 45 minutes. Serve bread warm or cold with butter.