Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Grease 9 x 5-inch bread pan.
- In medium bowl, sift together the all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl, blend the shortening and butter. Mix in the flour and eggs. Add dry ingredients into the wet and give a quick mix. Add molasses and hot water. Mix and scrape batter into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Turn bread out onto rack and let cool. Serve warm or cold with powdered sugar, whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Bread Baking Tips:
- Store flour properly to keep it from spoiling.
- To prevent the molasses from sticking to your measuring spoon, coat the spoon in a tiny amount of cooking oil.
- An opened jar of molasses lasts up to one year.
- Egg substitute can be used in place of the egg.
- Store sugar into an airtight container to keep it from becoming hard.
- Make baking powder substitute by combining 1 teaspoon baking soda and 2 teaspoons cream of tartar. This will replace the 1 tablespoon of baking powder called for in this recipe.
- Buy baking powder in small quantities if you do not bake a lot. Baking powder looses its potency over time.
- Preheat your oven before you begin mixing the muffins. This way, by the time you are finished mixing the batter and putting it into the tin, the oven should be fully heated. If it is not ready, wait the extra minute or two until the oven has reached the proper temperature.