Spiced with ground anise seed and cardamom, sweetened with brown sugar, and filled with dried fruits and almonds, this is a great dessert bread to serve a small family.
Yield: 1 small loaf
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp soft butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp ground anise
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped candied cherries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 cups bread flour, about
- In medium bowl, mix milk and yeast. Add brown sugar, salt, butter, egg, anise, cardamom, raisins, cherries, and almonds. Stir. Add 1-1/2 cups bread flour and mix well. Add in enough bread flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes, adding more bread flour as needed until the dough is firm and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Shape dough into round loaf. Place loaf on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove bread from pan and let cool on rack.