I learned to bake this crumb cake over 20 years ago. It's the recipe that my mother uses and has made throughout my childhood. The recipe is very easy to follow. The only thing you need to remember is to reserve a half cup of the crumb for the cake topping.
Like any good coffee cake, crumb cake can be served with coffee and tastes great at breakfast and for dessert.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 15 servings
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup soft butter or shortening
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 med. eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 13- by 9-inch rectangle baking dish.
In medium bowl, add brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, and butter. Blend with fork until mixture is like crumbs. Take out 1/2 cup of the crumbs and set aside for the crumb topping. Add baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, eggs, and milk to the medium bowl. Mix until wet. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle reserved crumb topping onto cake top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
- When measuring out brown sugar, always pack it down into the measuring cup or spoon unless the recipe tells you to do otherwise.
- Store brown sugar into an airtight container to keep it from becoming hard.
- Keep your baking soda fresh by storing it in a plastic container or glass jar.