This banana bread has something a little extra in it: Chocolate! Chocolate chip banana bread is a great way to use up the overripe bananas sitting on your counter or kitchen table. The bread can be eaten as a dessert or it can be a tasty part of your work lunch. Recipe makes 1 loaf.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mash bananas with fork. Add shortening, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Blend well.
- In separate medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly pour and stir flour mixture into banana mixture.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Grease inside of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Scrape batter into pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until a knife (or toothpick) inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove loaf from oven and let set for 15 minutes until turning loaf out onto rack to cool.