Cherry walnut coffee bread looks impressive, but is a very easy dessert bread to make. Taking about only 35 minutes to make, this quick bread requires no yeast and can be made right before company arrives. Recipe for cherry walnut coffee bread makes one 12-inch loaf.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, chilled
- 1 egg, beaten
- milk, read recipe instructions
- 2 tbsp soft butter
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- In small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cherries, and walnuts. Set bowl aside to use as the filling.
- In large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in the chilled butter until mixture looks like crumbs.
- Break egg into liquid measuring cup and lightly beat egg.
- Add enough milk to the measuring cup until both the egg and milk measure 1/2 cup.
- Slowly mix egg and milk into flour mixture until dough is wet. You probably won’t use all the liquid.
- Knead dough about 10 times on a lightly floured board.
- Roll dough out into a 12 by 7-inch rectangle.
- Spread soft butter on the rectangle.
- Spread brown sugar mixture over the rectangle, leaving 1-inch space around edges.
- Roll up dough like a jellyroll. Pinch together seams and ends. Place loaf, seam side down, on greased baking sheet.
- Make deep, diagonal slashes in the loaf, about 1-inch apart.
- Bake loaf at 425 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and let cool.
- While the loaf is still warm, mix confectioner’s sugar with enough water to make a light icing. Spread icing on warm bread so that it glazes the loaf.