Cinnamon twists are a delicious treat for the whole family. They taste similar to cinnamon donuts and their shape makes them easy to grab and eat. This recipe for cinnamon twists makes about a dozen twists that are served warm.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes
- 5 cups bread flour, about
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, soft
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Mix together 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl.
- Mix in water, milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Mix in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough on floured board for five minutes.
- Put dough in greased bowl and turn dough over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover and let rise in warm spot for 45 minutes.
- Melt butter in small saucepan.
- Mix together 1 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon in small bowl.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead briefly.
- Roll out dough to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut dough into 1 inch wide, 8 inch long strips.
- Butter strips with a pastry brush and the melted butter and roll strips in the cinnamon sugar.
- Fold each strip in half and twist ends.
- Place twists on baking sheets, cover with clean kitchen cloth, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve cinnamon twists while still warm.