Cinnamon currants swirls are a delicious treat for breakfast and are perfect for packing for lunches. Filled with buttery cinnamon and currants and then topped with a maple syrup glaze, cinnamon currant swirls taste way better than any baked dessert that you can buy at the store. Recipe makes 12 cinnamon currant swirls.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp butter, soft
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups bread flour, about
- 4 tbsp butter, soft
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup currants
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Mix together salt, yeast, 2 tbsp butter, egg, and milk.
- Stir in flour until a stiff dough is formed.
- Put dough in greased bowl and turn dough over so that top is greased. Cover with clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rise in warm place for about 40 minutes or until double in size.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead for about 2 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix the filling: 4 tbsp butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Roll dough out to a 12 x 9 inch rectangle.
- Spread with cinnamon filling.
- Sprinkle with currants.
- Roll dough up from the long side like a jelly roll. Pinch seam and ends together.
- Cut into 12 rolls and place in greased 9 by 9 inch baking pan.
- Cover rolls and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until done.
- Remove rolls from pan and brush with maple syrup while still hot.
- Allow to cool to warm before serving.