Whether you’re baking gifts for the holidays or your family is suffering from chronic sweet tooth, these little quick breads are great for all occasions. The breads can be glazed or eaten just so. Loaves that aren’t glazed can be wrapped in aluminum foil, bagged, and frozen for later.
Yield: 3 mini loaves
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup butter, chilled
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup crystallized ginger chunks, chopped
- rind and juice from medium orange
- milk (see instructions)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Grease 3 mini loaf pans. Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Cut butter into thin slices and add to bowl. Break butter into mixture with fingers until mixture is crumbly. Stir in brown sugar. Chop 3/4 cup crystallized ginger chunks and add to mixture. Grate the rind off of one medium orange. Add rind to the mixture. Cut orange in half and squeeze juice out into bowl. Remove any seeds from juice. Pour orange juice (it should be about 1/4 cup) into liquid measuring cup. Add enough milk to the orange juice to make 3/4 cup. Pour orange juice and milk into mixture. Add eggs and stir. Batter should be thick but not dry. If necessary, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time.
- Scrape batter into three greased mini loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until done. Turn loaves out and let cool on rack.
- In small bowl, add enough water to confectioner’s sugar to make a thin icing. Drizzle icing over loaves.