Treat you family this holiday season with a beautiful and delicious lemon braided wreath bread. The dough, made with the grated peel and juice of one lemon, is flavorful and, when topped with icing, deliciously sweet. This recipe for lemon bread makes one braided loaf of bread that is formed into a 12-inch diameter wreath.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 35 minutes
- 5 cups bread flour, about
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 small lemon, grated and juiced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, soft
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Mix together 1 cup flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl.
- Add the grated peel and juice from one small lemon.
- Mix in milk, water, butter, and eggs.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for about 8 minutes.
- Put dough in greased bowl and turn dough over so that dough is lightly greased on top. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough and knead on floured board for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a long, 24 inch strip.
- Braid the three strips together. Bring ends together and pinch closed so that a braided circle is formed.
- Place ring on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until done.
- Remove braid from baking sheet.
- Mix together confectioner’s sugar and enough water to make icing. Ice braided loaf while still warm.
- Let braid cool and icing set before serving.