Maple syrup bread is a delicious dessert bread that will make everyone’s mouth water. The maple syrup in the recipe gives the bread a unique flavor and the icing, flavored with lemon juice, tops off the sugary experience.
Yield: 1 loaf of bread
Prep Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup warm water (100 degrees F)
- 2 Tbsp dry milk
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, about
- Using liquid measuring cup, measure maple syrup. Pour syrup into medium bowl. Using the same liquid measuring cup, measure the warm water and pour into bowl. This helps loosen the sticky maple syrup from the measuring cup and gets it into the bowl. Add dry milk, shortening, yeast, and salt. Stir until dissolved. Mix in enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for about 10 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour, a tablespoon at a time. Grease medium bowl. Put dough in bowl and turn dough over so that the dough is lightly greased on the top. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for about 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth. Shape dough into loaf. Grease 8" by 4" loaf pan. Put loaf in pan, cover with clean cloth and allow to rise in warm, draft-free place for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove loaf from pan and let cool to warm on rack or clean cloth.
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 tsp lemon juice
Mix icing ingredients in small bowl. Spread icing on warm bread with rubber spatula. Allow to cool before slicing.