Making french bread pizza from scratch can take time, but the taste of homemade french bread pizza cannot be beat. It is also cheaper to make your own pizzas for parties and I will tell you how to freeze the pizzas so that you and the kids can take them out of the freezer and pop them in the toaster oven anytime they need a snack or when they need to make their own lunch.
Yield: 8 french bread pizzas.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 1-1/4 cups water, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour, about
- Pizza sauce, cheese, and favorite toppings
- In medium bowl, mix water and yeast. Add salt and all-purpose flour. Stir. Add 1 cup of bread flour and mix well. Slowly add in remaining bread flour, enough flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 4 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is soft and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 4 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Divide dough in 4 equal parts. Shape each piece into a 7-inch long loaf. Place loaves on greased baking sheets, 2 loaves per sheet . Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Bake loaf at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown. Remove loaf from sheet and let cool on rack.
- When the loaves are cool, slice each loaf in half the long way. Cover with pizza sauce and your favorite toppings. Toast in oven or toaster oven at 425 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and the bread is lightly crisp around the edges. Serve hot.
French Bread Pizza Tips:
- You can freeze each pizza individually for easy toasting later. To do this, after the bead has cooled, slice it in half the long way. Top with pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni, if desired. Instead of baking the pizza breads, you will be freezing them. Place the uncooked pizzas on a baking sheet and set it in the freezer. Let freeze for about 4 hours. Remove from freezer and then wrap each pizza in aluminum foil. Bag the wrapped pizzas and label the plastic bag with the date and type of pizza. Place back in freezer. To heat the individual pizzas, remove from freezer and open up aluminum foil. Keep the pizza on the aluminum foil and place in toaster oven or oven. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes or until done..
- For larger batches of bread for french pizza bread, I make one batch of the recipe and, while the first batch rises, I make two more batches. This gives me 24 pizza breads to freeze.
- Store shredded cheese in the freezer to prevent it from molding.