The easiest way to make round tortillas is to purchase a tortilla press. This tool costs around $20 and can be found at online cooking stores.
This recipe makes twelve 5 to 5.5 inch tortillas that can be used immediately or frozen for later use.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 2-1/2 cups masa harina
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- In medium bowl, mix masa harina and salt.
- Slowly add water until the dough becomes smooth and firm, not sticky.
- Turn dough out onto board and divide it into 12 equal portions. Roll into balls.
- If you have a tortilla press, follow the tool’s instructions for flattening the tortillas.
- By hand, place a tortilla ball between two sheets of wax paper. Use rolling pin to roll dough out into a thin tortilla shape.
- To cook, place one tortilla at a time in a large ungreased frying pan. Cook over moderate hot heat for about one to two minutes on each side, or until each side is lightly browned.
- When finished cooking all the tortillas, wrap them together in aluminum foil and place in warm oven (about 300 degrees F) for 5 minutes.