Fried breads go great with breakfast meals when smothered in your favorite jelly or jam. For snack time, cover the breads with powdered sugar and they taste just like homemade doughnuts. This recipe makes approximately 10 fried breads.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- In medium bowl, mix together salt, baking powder, and flour.
- Mix in oil and water.
- Form dough into ball and set on lightly floured board. Pull off approximately ten golfball size bits, shape into balls, and flatten each into a pancake. Poke a hole in the center of each flattened circles.
- Fill a large frying pan with about 3/4 inch of shortening or lard. Fry the breads for a few seconds on each side so that they are golden brown.
- Set breads on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- When warm, breads can be covered in powdered sugar, like a powdered doughnut, by placing fried bread in a bag filled with a half cup of powdered sugar. Give bag a quick shake to cover the bread with sugar and remove bread.
- These fried breads also taste great covered in your favorite jelly or jam.
- To freeze, let breads cool and bag them in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to one month.