Whether you make muffins for breakfast, Thanksgiving dinner, or Christmas dinner, you will want to keep this recipe on hand. The freshly chopped cranberries have a wonderful tang that goes great with a turkey or ham dinner.
Yield: 1 dozen muffins
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp shortening
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped, fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Grease 12-cup muffin tin.
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening with fork. Mix egg and milk together in small bowl. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until flour is wet. Fold in cranberries and walnuts.
- Scrape batter into muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove muffins from tin and let cool on rack. Serve warm or cold with butter.