Served warm with butter, apple cornbread is a delicious addition to breakfast and dinner meals. It is also a great addition to a small, Thanksgiving dinner.
Yield: 9 servings
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 33 minutes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- 1 small baking apple (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk, cold or room temperature
- Grease 9-inch square pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add chopped apple, egg, and milk all together. Mix until fully blended.
- Scrape the thick batter into a greased, 9-inch square pan with rubber spatula. Pat batter down evenly into pan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cut into 9 squares. Serve warm with butter.