Soda breads are quick and easy breads to make for a meal. This recipe doesn’t require any kneading, and it uses baking soda and cream of tartar to bring a rise. Recipe makes one small, round loaf.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp buttermilk powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter, chilled
- 3/4 cup water
- Grease baking sheet. Sprinkle a light coating of cornmeal onto the baking sheet to prevent bread from sticking to it.
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, buttermilk powder, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Cut up tablespoon butter and add to flour mixture. Use fingers to break the butter up with the flour mixture.
- Stir in water.
- When mixed, lightly flour hands and pick up dough. Form dough into a ball and place it on baking sheet. Pat dough into small, round loaf.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap on the bread top.
- Serve while still warm.