Need to make a special bread to go with your steak dinner? Onion cheddar quick bread takes only an hour to prepare and bake, and the onion and cheese center is to die for. This recipe makes one medium loaf.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In medium frying pan, sauté chopped onions in butter. Set aside to cool while mixing the bread ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening.
- Mix in milk until mixture is just moist and dough like.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and pat it down into a rectangle. Spread the onions and cheese over the dough, setting aside a small amount of onion to cover the loaf. Roll dough up like a jellyroll. Pinch seams and sides together.
- Place loaf in greased loaf pan. Bake at 425 F for 30 minutes or until done. Serve hot for best flavor.