Every time I bake cornbread, I give whatever crumbs are left to the birds. It was only a matter of time before I decided to start baking special treats for the birds that visit my backyard. This recipe is for a berry or raisin cornbread that the birds will love you for.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup soft bacon fat or lard
- 3 cups warm water
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup fresh berries or raisins
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Grease 9 in. x 12 in. shallow glass baking pan or 2 smaller shallow glass baking pans or glass pie pans. Do not use non-stick pans.
- In large bowl, mix cornmeal, fat, and water. If using lard, use an electric mixer to break up the lard. The mix is very watery but the liquid will be soaked up by the cornmeal when baking. Stir in baking powder and fresh berries or raisins. Pour into prepared pan or pans and bake for 30 minutes or until solid.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan. Use a spatula to break up cornmeal and feed to the birds.