When my kids were little, we would call my chicken and biscuit casserole the “Full Moon Dinner” because I would only serve it on a full moon. It made the casserole, their favorite, a special occasion and it helped them remember the cycles of the moon for their astronomy lessons.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- 2 lb. boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter, for cooking the chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch each of salt and pepper
- For Biscuit Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 med. eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, divided
- Cut raw chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Set aside. Melt butter over medium heat in large frying pan. Add onions and stir for 1 minute. Add cubed chicken and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink on the inside. Set aside.
- In a 3-quart casserole dish, add cream of chicken, sour cream, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Add chicken and onions. Mix well.
- In medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs and mix in enough flour to make a biscuit dough. Fold in 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Spoon biscuit batter onto top of casserole. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake casserole at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the biscuit covering is golden brown. Serve hot.