Scones are both fun and easy to make. They are the perfect tea and coffee quick bread and can easily be made by teenagers. This recipe for chocolate chip coconut scones is a kid and adult favorite. Serve with hot chocolate and coffee for a warm, family evening.
Yield: 8 wedges
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 26 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup chilled, chopped butter
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Egg white for glaze
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Grease baking sheet or 12-inch pizza pan.
- In large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and 3 tbsp sugar. Add chilled butter and work butter into the flour mixture with your fingers until the mix resembles fine crumbs. Add milk, chocolate chips, and coconut. Mix to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for about 30 seconds. Form dough into ball and pat into a circle, about 3/4-inch thick. Place dough on greased pan and cut into 8 wedges using a knife or pizza cutter. Gently separate wedges on pan, giving each about 1/4-inch space. Brush tops with egg white and sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 18 minutes or until baked all the way through. Let cool on rack. Serve warm or cold with your favorite jam.