Dried cranberries, commonly called cranberry raisins, are a delicious addition to most breads. For this recipe, I added dried cranberries and walnuts to sweetened scone recipe. The result is a delicious scone that tastes great with a cup of hot tea.
Yield: 8 round scones
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 26 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup chilled, chopped butter
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup dry cranberries (cranberry raisins)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Egg white for glaze
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Grease baking sheet.
- In large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and 3 tbsp sugar. Add chilled butter and work butter into the flour mixture with your fingers until the mix resembles fine crumbs. Add milk, cranberries, and walnuts. Mix to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for about 30 seconds. Form dough into ball and pat down, about 3/4-inch thick. Cut dough with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Place rounds on greased sheet, about 1/4-inch apart . Brush tops with egg white and sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 18 minutes or until baked all the way through. Let cool on rack. Serve warm or cold with your favorite jam.