Here is your basic, everyday biscuit recipe. It’s one of the simplest breads you can make and tastes great when smothered in butter or soaked in gravy. Makes about a dozen biscuits.
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, cream of tartar, and sugar.
- Use a fork to cut in shortening.
- When the mixture resembles crumbs, pour milk in all at once and mix.
- When dough is formed, turn out onto lightly floured board and pat or roll to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut with biscuit cutter and place biscuits on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes. Serve when ready.