When baked in large batches, these bread rolls can be frozen for up to 3 months and thawed when needed. They taste exactly like white bread in roll shapes. Recipe makes about 15 rolls, depending on how large or small you make the rolls.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 55 minutes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp lard or shortening
- 4 tbsp low fat dry milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 6 cups bread flour, approximately
- Boil water in small saucepan. Put butter and lard in large bowl. Pour boiling water over the butter and lard and stir until melted.
- Stir in dry milk, sugar, and salt until dissolved. Set bowl aside until the contents are lukewarm. If too hot, it will kill the yeast when you add it in.
- After the bowl contents have cooled, stir yeast into the 1/4 cup warm water. When dissolved, pour into large bowl.
- Begin mixing in the bread flour, one cup at a time. When you can no longer mix with a wooden spoon, turn dough out onto a floured board and knead in more flour until the dough is soft and elastic.
- Next, grease a large bowl with butter. Put the bread dough into the bowl and then turn the dough over so that the top of the dough is buttered. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and let the dough rise in a warm place until double in size or about 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Turn it out onto a floured board and knead out all the bubbles for about 5 minutes. Divide rolls into about 15 equal parts and shape into rolls. Smaller or larger rolls can be made by increase or decreasing the number of rolls you divide the dough into.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter two baking or cookie sheets. Spread a light layer of yellow cornmeal on the sheets, if desired. Set rolls about 2 inches apart on sheets, cover with clean towel, and allow to rise until double in size or for about a 20-30 minutes.
- Bake rolls for about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and turn out onto a rack or a clean cloth. Allow to cool before eating.