Scones are continuing to gain popularity in the United States as more gourmet coffee shops open for business. My latest scones recipe calls for buttermilk that gives the scones a rich, delicious flavor.
Yield: 12 scones
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp butter, chilled and chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk, about
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease large baking or cookie sheet.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Chopped chilled butter into smaller chunks. Add to flour mixture and work the butter in with your fingers until the mixture looks like crumbs. Slowly add enough buttermilk while mixing until a stiff dough is formed.
- Knead dough on floured board until the dough is smooth. Divide dough into two equal parts. Form each half into a circle that is one-inch thick. Cut each circle into six wedges (12 wedges all together). Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm with honey, jelly, or marmalade.