These tasty basil and cheddar cheese rolls are a great addition to a fish or chicken dinner. Serve with homemade whipped butter and these rolls will be an instant hit!
Yield: 12 rolls
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 3/4 cup milk, room temp.
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp dry, crushed basil
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour, about
- In large bowl, mix together yeast and warm water. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, and olive oil. Add crushed basil and cheddar cheese. Mix in the first 2-1/2 cups of flour. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead, adding flour a tablespoon at a time as needed until dough is soft, not sticky. Place dough in greased bowl. Turn dough over so that the top is also greased. Cover bowl with clean dishtowel and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 60 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough and knead on lightly floured board for about 5 minutes. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Shape into small buns. Grease large baking or cookie sheet. Place rolls on sheet, cover, and let rise in warm, draft-free place for about 45 minutes or until round and plump.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Let cool on wire rack. Serve as is or toasted with butter.