If you love having freshly baked rolls with your dinner but don’t have the time to prepare rolls from scratch every night, this is the perfect recipe for you. Easy refrigerator rolls are prepared ahead of time and the dough is kept in the refrigerator. You take out the dough you need for dinner and bake them for 15 minutes. The remaining dough is then placed back in the refrigerator until the next evening. This recipe for refrigerator rolls makes a total of about 3 dozen rolls.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 2-1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 cups bread flour, about
- In large bowl, add water, sugar, yeast, and salt. Stir until dissolved.
- Add shortening and 4 cups flour. Mix well.
- Mix in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and quickly knead it, adding more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Put dough in large, greased bowl. Lightly grease the top of the dough, cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- To use, remove a portion of the dough from the bowl. Roll dough out to a half-inch thickness on a floured board.
- Cut dough with biscuit cutter and fold each circle in half.
- Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Serve warm or cold.