Oranges and pecans are my two favorite weaknesses. I can never get enough of the cheerful taste of oranges and the buttery flavor of pecans. When it finally came time to bake the week’s breakfast breads, I decided to combine my two favorite ingredients into delicious breakfast rolls.
Yield: 10 rolls
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 1/2 cup milk, room temp.
- 2Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp soft butter or shortening
- Zest from 1 small orange
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups bread flour, about
- In large bowl, mix together yeast and warm water. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, and butter. Add the orange zest and pecans. Mix in the first 2-1/2 cups of flour. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead, adding flour a tablespoon at a time as needed until dough is soft, not sticky. Place dough in greased bowl. Turn dough over so that the top is also greased. Cover bowl with clean dishtowel and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 60 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough and knead on lightly floured board for about 5 minutes. Divide dough into 10 pieces. Shape into small buns. Grease large baking or cookie sheet. Place rolls on sheet, cover, and let rise in warm, draft-free place for about 45 minutes or until round and plump.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Let cool on wire rack. Serve as is or toasted with butter.