When it comes to large Thanksgiving gatherings, it’s important to bake enough food for everyone. This recipe for potato rolls makes 40 delicious rolls that are baked in muffin tins. The rolls can also be bagged and frozen for lunches and dinners.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- 1-1/2 tbsp dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- Begin this recipe the night before you plan to bake because the dough will be refrigerated overnight.
- In large bowl, mix yeast and water. Stir until yeast is dissolved.
- Stir in milk, sugar, and salt.
- Stir in mashed potatoes. Use freshly mashed potatoes, smooth or chunky, or use mashed potatoes made from potato flakes.
- Mix in shortening and eggs.
- Mix in 2 cups bread flour.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap or clean kitchen towel and let batter sit in warm place for 45 minutes.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough that you can handle with your hands.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for about 10 minutes. If the dough is sticky, add more flour to it, a tablespoon at a time. Knead until smooth.
- Place dough in greased bowl. Flip dough over so that the dough top is also lightly greased. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, remove bowl from fridge.
- Melt the butter over low heat. You will use some of this butter to grease the muffin tins and the rest to brush the tops of the rolls.
- Lightly grease muffin tins with the melted butter and pastry brush.
- Form 40 balls out of the dough.
- Place dough balls in muffin tins. If you don’t have enough muffin tins to make 40 rolls at once, let the dough set aside until a muffin tin is empty and ready to go back into the oven.
- Brush the tops of each dough ball with butter.
- Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake rolls at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove rolls from tins and let cool.