Scones are Scottish teacakes that can be eaten plain or embellished with walnuts, cheeses, chocolate, or dried fruits such as raisins and cranberries. This basic scone recipe makes 6 scones that can be embellished as desired.
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Mix in butter, eggs, and heavy cream. Save a little bit egg white for brushing on the tops of scones.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for about 1 minute.
- Pat and roll dough until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 3 x 3 inch squares and place on greased baking sheet.
- Brush scone tops with egg white and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until done.