Whether for family dinner or for gift giving, these lovely little loaves of cornbread are perfect for many occasions. The recipe is an easy yeast bread with cornmeal with a distinct Southern flavor. This yeast cornbread recipe makes 4 mini loaves.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups finely ground cornmeal
- 2 to 3 cups bread flour
- In large bowl, mix together sugar, yeast, and water until yeast is dissolved.
- Stir in salt.
- Add shortening, egg, and cornmeal. Mix until well blended.
- Mix in 2 cups bread flour.
- Slowly add in more flour, about a tablespoon at a time, until dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for 5 minutes, adding small amounts of flour only as necessary.
- Put dough in greased bowl. Flip dough over in bowl so that the dough top is also greased.
- Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch dough down, cover, and let stand for another 10 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board. Knead for about 3 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and shape into 4 mini loaves.
- Put loaves in greased mini loaf pans. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until done.
- Let cool on rack before slicing or freezing.