Need a loaf of sourdough that can be prepared and baked in 3 hours? This quick rising sourdough bread uses active dry yeast for a faster rise while using the sourdough starter for the great sourdough flavor. Makes two small round loaves or one large round loaf.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1-1/2 cups sourdough starter
- 4-5 cups bread flour
- In small saucepan, scald milk and shortening. Set aside and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- In large bowl, add sugar, salt, yeast, and warm water. Pour in warm milk and melted butter. Stir until yeast is dissolved.
- Mix in starter.
- Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough is too thick to be mixed with wooden spoon.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and begin to knead for about 10 minutes, adding flour when dough gets sticky.
- Put dough in greased bowl and turn over so that dough top is greased. Cover and let rise in warm place for 60 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto board and knead for about 3 minutes.
- Shape dough into a large round loaf or two small round loaves. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife, slash an X on the bread top. Bake for 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on.