To make sourdough bread, you need a sourdough starter. A sourdough starter is a yeast that you grown and nurture in a mixture of flour and liquid. Rye sourdough starter begins as a thick, pasty mixture, but after it has fermented in a warm place for 24 hours it becomes spongy. Keep it stored in the fridge after the initial 24 hours, and feed the starter with equal amounts of rye flour and water once a week or after each use.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1-3/4 cups warm water
- 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
- Mix ingredients in large crock or ceramic bowl using wooden spoon.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and set in a warm place for 24 hours.
- Stir down and store in the refrigerator to prevent mold.
- Use sourdough as called for in recipes.
- Replenish once a week or after each use by adding equal amounts of flour and water, covering, and letting sit in a warm place for another 24 hours before returning to the refrigerator.