Here is your chance to finally use the sourdough starter you’ve made! This 1-loaf recipe is a very basic, beginner’s sourdough bread recipe. The crust is soft and chewy and the middle is moist. Great as toast, for making sandwiches, and for dinnertime.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 2-3 cups bread flour
- In small saucepan, scald milk and shortening. Set aside and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- In large bowl, add sugar and salt. Pour in warm milk and melted shortening. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Mix in starter.
- Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough is too thick to be mixed with wooden spoon.
- Turn dough out on floured board and begin to knead for 10 minutes, adding flour when dough gets sticky.
- Put dough in greased bowl and turn over so that dough top is greased. Cover and let rise in warm place for 90 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Cover bowl and let rise a second time for 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto board and knead for about 3 minutes.
- Shape dough into a round loaf. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 60 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife, slash an X on the bread top. Bake for 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on.