This easy, one loaf oatmeal bread recipes is easy enough for beginners to make and it tastes better than anything you can buy at the store. This is a great bread to make because it can be served at any meal, warm, cold, or toasted.
Yield: 1 medium loaf
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour, about
- Egg white, optional
- In large bowl, mix warm water and yeast. Add milk, sugar, salt, and shortening. Stir. Add oats and mix well. Add in enough bread flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more bread flour as needed until the dough is firm and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Shape into loaf and place in greased 8x5-inch bread pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Brush egg white on loaf. Bake bread at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove bread from pan and let cool on rack.