This whole wheat bread not only looks beautiful, it also tastes delicious. It also freezes extremely well so you can make it ahead of time and freeze it until you are ready to use it. Recipe makes one medium loaf of bread.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp dry milk
- 2 tbsp raw wheat bran
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp bread flour
- In medium bowl, add honey, vegetable oil, and warm water. Stir.
- Stir in salt, yeast, dry milk, and raw wheat bran.
- Mix in whole wheat flour, then mix in about 1/4 cup bread flour.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead the remaining 1/4 cup plus tablespoon of bread flour into the dough for about 5 minutes. When finished, the dough will be slightly sticky.
- Grease medium size bowl. Put dough into bowl and turn dough over so that the top of dough is lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let dough rise in warm place for about 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Turn dough out onto board and knead out air bubbles for about 3 minutes. Shape into bread loaf.
- Grease bread pan. Sprinkle cornmeal on bread pan, if desired. Place loaf in pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Turn out on rack or onto clean kitchen towel and allow to cool.
- Bread can be frozen in a sealed freezer bag for up to 3 months.