When I add oats to my bread recipes, I feel like I am making my breads healthier for my kids, but I also like a bit of extra zing for the recipe because too many oats can make a bread taste bland. For this oat recipe, I added candied orange peel to give the bread a breakfast flavor.
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp soft butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour, about
- In large bowl, mix yeast and milk. Add sugar, salt, butter, orange peel, and oats. Stir. Add 1-1/2 cups of flour and mix well. Add in enough remaining flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is firm and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Shape dough into a loaf. Place in greased, 8 X 4-inch bread pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until bread top is golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove bread from pan and let cool on rack.