Made with all-purpose flour, this easy yeast bread is perfect for people just learning how to make bread. Flavored with brown sugar, orange zest, and orange juice this is a great breakfast and snacking bread. Also great for making french toast.
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 3/4 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup orange juice, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp soft butter or margarine
- Grated rind of 1 med. orange
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, about
- In large bowl, mix warm water and yeast. Add orange juice, brown sugar, salt, butter, and orange zest. Stir. Add 2-1/2 cups of flour and mix well. Add in enough remaining flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is firm and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Shape dough into a loaf. Place in greased, 8 X 4-inch bread pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until bread top is golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove bread from pan and let cool on rack.