Rosemary and pepper bread is a full-flavored bread that can be served at dinner or it can be used to make a delicious bread stuffing.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
- 1/4 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp crushed rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp coarse cornmeal
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, about
- In large bowl, mix water and yeast. Add milk, sugar, salt, olive oil, rosemary, pepper, and cornmeal. Stir. Add 2 cups flour and mix well. Add in enough flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 4 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is soft and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 4 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Shape dough into loaf. Place loaf in greased bread pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove bread from pan and let cool on rack.