Brown sugar date bread is a delicious alternative to raisin bread. The bread is sweetened with brown sugar and, combined with the whole wheat flour, the loaf has a beautiful dark brown color to it. This recipe for brown sugar date bread makes 1 loaf.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2-1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup chopped, pitted dates
- Sesame seeds
- Egg white
- In large bowl, mix together wheat flour, brown sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Stir in water and vegetable oil.
- Stir in bread flour until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for 5 minutes.
- Put dough in greased bowl. Flip dough over in bowl so that the top of the dough is also greased.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for about 45 minutes, or until double in size.
- Punch down. Turn out onto floured board.
- Knead in chopped dates.
- Shape dough into loaf.
- Grease bread pan and set loaf in pan. Cover and let rise in warm place for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- With pastry brush, brush bread top with egg white. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when top is tapped.
- Turn out onto rack and let cool.
- Bread can be bagged and frozen for later when it is completely cool.