What’s a pasta meal without the garlic bread? These loaves are buttery and the garlic is very prominent - perfect for a spaghetti dinner!
[Yield: 2 loaves
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 1 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- In large bowl, stir together water, oil, sugar, yeast, and salt. Mix in flour a half cup at a time. When the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is too stiff to mix, turn dough out onto floured board. Knead dough, adding flour as needed, for 5 minutes.
- Grease medium bowl. Put dough in bowl and turn dough over so that the top of dough is lightly greased. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in warm, draft-free place for about 45 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough and turn out onto floured board. Knead out air for about 3 minutes. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a long, skinny loaf. Put both loaves onto greased baking or cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place until double in size, about 30 minutes.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in small saucepan. Stir in garlic powder. Slash dough loaves down the center. Brush on the garlic butter. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.